Fantasy RPG Naming Conventions

I have a dislike of entirely made up Fantasy place names. I like naming conventions for places that relate to features in a geographic area: Old Harbour, Newbridge, Waterford. Part of the reason they feel real to me is that thus is how a lot of place names actually came into being, part is because I'm Irish and I'm surrounded by names like this. 

Another thing that happens that I'm fond of emulating for Fantasyland is how names like this can originate in one language and be carried into a new language by a later group. Dublin is supposed to be based on "Dubh-linn" which is literally "Black-pool." Still the same convention, but one step removed. I don't have fantasy languages for my setting, and I try not to use real world languages directly.

STEALING!
Now we rob things from others. Namely the language Wiki from Dwarf Fortress. This has an extensive list of words for the various languages in the game. They have pretty consistent and satisfying phonemes, so each language has identifiable sounds. So if we try to take some place names and build them in Dwarven and Goblin to show how the linguistic continuity could work (the parts in brackets are conjunctions based on the two words that I think sound better)

Dwarven 
New bridge:
Ir Sazir (Ir'Saz)
Black bridge: 
Udir Sazir (Udirsaz)
Black forest
Udir Fotthor 


Goblin
Newbridge:
Nodluz Romnu (Nodromnu)
Blackbridge:
Ogur Romnu (Oguromnu)
Black Forest:
Ogur Udast (Ogurudast)


There are thousands of words in each Dwarf fortress language. I also like using nouns or verbs from this for certain characters. For example a group of bandits who happen to be evil elves can be named based on an obvious feature.

Elf Bandits
Butcher: Uwale (prone to overt violence, always smells of raw meat)

Buzzard: Acithe (slender neck, wears a huge feather mantle, known cannibal)

Breeches: Niriwa (wears incongruously coloured stylish breeches)

Sometimes with these names I have a feature in mind, but more often I know that the encounter in a room or wilderness area was d6 bandits and I rolled a three. I'll randomly determine their race and just pick things from my printed version of the dictionary that sound cool. Think of them like nicknames and then apply features or a story that would get someone that nickname. The language just adds a layer of obfuscation that makes for some free world building. If names come up again or repeat that only adds to the verisimilitude. I never need to remember what I made up because I have a look up table any time I need it.

These nicknames can also be cool if a player spends time in another culture. Perhaps they befriend a group of goblins and get themselves a nickname for helping.

MAGIC WEAPONS
You have a magic weapon with some cool effects but are stumped for an interesting name? Just describe it simply and translate it into the language of the makers of the artifact, or those who last owned it.

The Radiant Warhammer of the Undying 
Was an item that I rolled for a player during my 5e times. Sounds dull though. The item was made by Dwarves, so it became:

 Åtesh'Nil Bardûmrash
Which actually meant "Radiant-hammer Battle-death." But it was close enough. This was the first time I ever stole from the Dwarf Fortress language Wiki. All of the other things above have come since that first pilfer.

I present this as an alternative to patchworking real world languages. As with everything I try when GMing, its purpose is to make my life easier and make the game more inclined to prep itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FROSTKNAVE

The Joys of Encounter Cards